The dress

The dress

THE dress.

The only thing I've loved more than this dress is my wedding gown.  And maybe my Fryes.

I had a wedding to go to in June and needed a new dress.  And of course I wanted to make it.  And I knew I wanted it to be special.

I really waffled on whether to buy this fabric or not.  It was the most expensive fabric I'd ever bought, and I needed quite a bit of it.  But the oversized polka dots and the color were just so me.  Perfect.  So love won out, and I bought the last few yards Mood had.

It's no longer available, but the fabric was a gorgeous silk satin from one of Carolina Herrera's resort collections a couple of years ago.  It was on sale for $40/yard and I just decided to grab it.  Thankfully, it wasn't a $150 mistake, because it was GORGEOUS

I used my old favorite, Simplicity 1823.  I knew the pleated sleeves and voluminous skirt would look great in this super structured fabric.  I scooped both the neckline and back a lot lower though.  What, I like to show some boob when I'm dressed up?  I also fully lined it with a black silk habotai, because I'm so fancy.

All in, I'd say I spent about $200.  And it was 100% worth it, hands down.

Not often someone yells at me on the streets to tell me how cute my dress is!

I felt really adorable and beautiful in it.  I've been able to wear it twice (both times to weddings), and I could definitely see wearing it again in the future to a fancy party.  It's lovely.

Right now, it crumpled and wrinkled from a return trip from Wisconsin in my suitcase, but I can steam it if I need to.

I would take pictures of the innards, but again, crumpled in my closet.  I bound all the skirt seams and the waistband, encased the zipper within the lining, etc.  It is awesome.

Side note:  I think I sewed this in May.  Wore it in June and September.  I have a lot of catching up to do.

Project:  Navy a-line skirt

Pattern:  

S

implicity 1873 by Cynthia Rowley

Fabric:   Carolina Herrera silk satin twill omgomgomg

Notions:    thread, lining, invisible zipper

Skills involved:  Placing a zipper, regular stuff such as darts and pleating

Changes made:  Scooped neckline and back

Fuckups: I attempted pattern matching across the back, but failed.  Too much to do it across the zipper.

Close, but no cigar

Hi